PushButton is a very modular game engine which has core functionality such as resource manager, logger, debug monitoring, serialization, time management, globally named objects, etc. It also has a set of components that make the engine even better:
- Physics based on Box2D;
- Gameplay components: health, teams, state machines;
- Sprite-based and SWF-based 2D rendering;
- Tilemap system;
- Pathfinding library;
- Basic networking. Pass events to/from your servers, do XMLRPC/JSON Web API requests, etc;
- Awesome UI capabilities via Flash – localizable, stylable/themable, internationalizable.
Stardust was inspired by Flint, but it has its own set features:
- Supports 2D and 3D particle effects.
- Easy to extend for custom initializers, actions, fields, deflectors, clocks, and 2D/3D renderers.
- Includes 3D extensions for ZedBox, Papervision3D, and ND3D.
- Includes a native 3D renderer.
- Supports particle masking (particles can be masked out for actions).
- Uses linked lists and object pools to improve performance.
- Gravity and deflector simulation.
- Action triggers (for creating complex conditional particle behaviors).
- XML serialization.
Flint is an open-source project to create a versatile particle system in Actionscript 3. The aim is to create a system that handles the common functionality for all particle systems, has methods for common particle behaviour, and lets developers extend it easily with their own custom behaviours without needing to touch the core code.
FlashGameMaker (formerly 2d-isometric-engine) is a component-based game engine. Some of the features:
- Isometric vue
- 4 Directional movements (Diagonals)
- Multi level deplacement (slopes, ladders, real gravity)
- Collision detection
- Real time keyboard deplacement
- Zoom in/ Zoom out
- Dynamic tile
- Char switching
- Possibility to carry something or someone
- Thin wall unit
- Graphical unit info
- Sound management
- Range detection
OpenSpace is part of the SmartFoxServer platform for multiplayer games and has the following features:
- Engine and framework for rapid development of multi-user virtual worlds and MMO communities;
- Customizable tiles’ aspect ratio;
- Tiles Elevation
- 2D objects in a 2.5D world
- Backgrounds and foregrounds
- Advanced pathfinding
- Powerful avatar management
- Advanced map interaction system
- Exhaustive documentation
- Complete Map Editor
As3isolib is an isometric library developed to assist in creating isometrically projected content (such as games and graphics). It includes utilities, primitives and views and it was developed with simplicity, speed and performance in mind. The as3isolib is loosely based on a scenegraph implementation. Some features:
- Simple scene creation;
- 3 primitive types;
- Base class for displaying user-created conten;
- Plenty of styling option on vector based primitive;
- Integrates well with a variety of tween engine;
- Improved 3D isometric positional sorting;
- Scene & view renderer classes geared towards performance optimizatio;
- Performance caching of static and animated sprite asset.
FFilmation is an isometric game engine. It was designed to be simple and fast and it has a rich feature set:
- One engine capable of handling several isometric scenes of different complexities.
- Create scenes from human-readable XML definitions, allowing easy edition of the scene’s topology and contents
- Graphic media can be split into several external resources and loaded when an scene needs them
- Flat textures. Paint your graphics directly into flash. Walls, floors and ceilings are edited as 2D graphics and projected by the engine. Elements and animated characters can be animated via flash timeline, no need for complex programming.
- Dynamic lighting, global lighting, real-time shadow projection. Multiple lights from multiple sources affecting the same objects.
- Bump-mapped surfaces. Still somehow buggy and a serious performance killer, but already there.
- An extendable material interface. MovieClip materials, autotiled materials, procedural materials.
- Automatic zSorting of all surfaces and objects
- Built-in collision detection. No need to program complex coordinate comparisons, simple listen to COLLISION events generated by the engine.
- Basic AI API helpers such as “is character A visible from character B’s position ?”.
Hi-ReS-Stats (formelly Mrdoob stats) provides a simple info box that will help you monitor your code performance. It can tell you the following:
- FPS Frames per second, how many frames were rendered in 1 second. The higher the number, the better.
- MS Milliseconds needed to render a frame. The lower number, the better.
- MEM Memory your code is using, if it increases per frame is VERY wrong.
- MAX Maximum memory the application reached.
BulkLoader is a library for managing multiple loadings with AS3. Some of the features:
- Connection pooling.
- Unified interface for different loading types.
- Unified progress notification.
- Events for individual items and as groups.
- Stop and resuming individually as well as in bulk.
- Cache management.
- Statistics about loading (latency, speed, average speed).
- Various kinds on progress indication: ratio (items loaded / items to load), bytes , and weighted percentage.
- Configurable number of retries.
- Configurable logging.
- Various assest types (XML, NetStreams, Swfs, Images, Sound, Text Files)
AS3 utils is a set of useful function that solve common problems such as randomizing or summing the values of an a array.
QuickBox2D is a mini-library created to work with Box2DFlashAS3, which is an AS3 port of the famous Box2D C++ physics engine. The main purpose of this library is to simplify instantiation of rigid bodies and give a simple way to bind them with custom graphics.